Thursday, September 2, 2010

Being Mark Wahlberg, Or How I Commence My Journey

As I sit on the plane that takes me to my first destination, Nairobi, I find myself flipping through an article in the inflight magazine entitled "Being Mark Wahlberg", which I personally think, would be freakin sweet. How amazing would it be to produce a show based on your own lavish lifestyle and entourage? Someday, perhaps...
But as I land, 400 something hours later, in a dingy corner of Nairobi airport, I realize Mark E Mark is anywhere but here to familiarize my surroundings. It smells, not particularly bad, but I wouldn't call it an enticing smell either...just different. The locals stare at us, a group of 15 wide-eyed white kids, aimlessly stumbling through the crowded hallways.
We arrive at the Kolping Guest House and fall into our beds, which could be comfortable, but for all I cared, I could have lay face first on a bed of nails and I would have said"Christ, these nails are comfy".
Our days are filled with 4 hrs of Swahili lessons by two of the most engaging and thoroughly entertaining teachers I have ever had, Rose and Julius. Rose has a hearty laugh that fills you up and makes you want to impress her with your butchered vocab. Julius is missing a front tooth and loves to poke fun at those who can't quite pronounce the African "Ooh" sound. The rest of the day is dedicated to, at this point, sleep and wandering of the streets.
More to come, my friends. More to come.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim, thanks for the good words. We miss your long length on the couch and the grilled sandwich aromas in the late evening, but we trust you will be able to make yourself at home wherever you go and with whomever. I can't wait for the next installment!
    by the way, we have 3 chickens laying eggs now! It's gonna be an avalanche pretty soon!
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete